Conditions associated with selenium deficiency include:
- Thyroid disease
- Myalgia of lower extremities
- Nail bed whitening
- Impaired immunity
- Asthma and atopy
- Cognitive decline
- Greater incidence of depression, anxiety, confusion and hostility
- Possibly increased risk of coronary heart disease
- Male and female fertility issues
- Possibly increased risk of colorectal, prostate, lung, bladder, skin, oesophageal and gastric cancers
- Protects against the toxicity of arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury
- World Health Organization. Trace elements in human nutrition and health. 1996. Available from: http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/micronutrients/9241561734/en/
- Wada O. What are Trace Elements. JMAJ. 2004; 47(8): 351-358.
- Braun L, Cohen M. Herbs and Natural Supplements: An evidence based guide. 4th Edition, Vol 2. Australia. Elsevier, 2015.
- Mediscan for Bioceuticals. Hair Mineral Analysis: A Practitioner’s Guide. Australia. Bioceuticals, 2010.